Saturday, May 29, 2010

I Believe In Angels


I believe in angels. I was never really one to believe or even consider the fact that these sorts of things could even affect our daily lives. That was before the tragic and unnecessary death of my grandmother in 2005.
My grandmother, Lois Moss, is the most inspirational person I know. She was put up for adoption, because she wasn’t loved by her real parents, and was soon adopted by a kind woman by the name of Rosie. She had a good life, and a brother to keep her company. But once she grew up, married, and had four children of her own (Karen, Sylvia, Elizabeth, and Richard), and even had a few grandchildren, she couldn’t have wished for anything more. After the death of her husband in 1983, she was overwhelmed with sorrow of course, but with the help of friends and family, finally recovered. But the death of Lois Moss, is the real story that made me believe in angels and demons.

In the summer of 2005, Lois had fallen sick. We visited her every day in the hospital, until it was time for me to return back to school. My mom and aunt promised me that she would get better soon, and it was nothing too serious. But they were wrong. Nana didn’t get better, not even close. News had been sent out that sooner or later, Nana wouldn’t be with us. My mother had to fly back to Canada in the beginning of December to be with Nana on her last days. It was the first time she had ever been away from me, so it was really hard to cope with school, and home life without her. When she returned on Christmas Eve, there was bad news, Nana had not been saved. But the worst part was yet to come. Months later, we discovered that our precious Lois could have been saved. The doctors at this particular hospital just couldn’t be bothered to do the extra treatment to make everything right.

Moist tears slide down my cheeks, because this is the part that truly fills me with sorrow. The real treatment that she needed wasn’t so much extra money, but it took hours. The doctors realized that applying cream in certain areas every day wasn’t going to save her, but they couldn’t be bothered to the daily one hour cleansing treatment. And so we lost one of the most beautiful souls known to this planet, because of a faculty of lazy slobs. One day, I will march into that hospital, and not shout at them, but thank them. Thank them for helping me realize how amazing Nana was. I will thank them, because I now believe in angels. I do believe that Nana is up there, watching me, helping me, and still loving me. I also strongly believe that someday something will happen to those demon doctors, and they certainly won’t be going to heaven with Nana. Nana has taught me many lessons in life, but the most valuable one, is never to take advantage of having someone around, because if you do, you won’t know what you have until it’s gone. My Nana is an angel, I swear it’s true, and she’s always beside me, with everything I do, everything I say, and everywhere I go. I can’t stop loving her, I won’t stop thinking about her, and I look forward to the day we meet again. I will never forget her. She was my grandmother, as well as my best friend.

I chose this image to represent my piece because I believe that it reflects on how I feel. The angel is looking down on the world, and that's exactly what I think my Nana is doing, watching me. I do think that she is always helping me make decisions, she is one of the voices in my head telling me what I should do. I think this picture describes that well. How she is looking at the little glowing ball, that is like my brain, and she's watching what it is deciding to do.


No comments: