Monday, January 31, 2011

Learning Profiles- Gestalt Dominant, Profile K

During this in-class seminar about learning profiles, I discovered that I am a gestalt dominant learner with a K profile. This means that I learn best through movement, not just listening, and by focusing on the whole picture, not just small details. While reading I make connections to myself, so I get a better understanding of the text. I learn better when I am sitting in the front of the classroom, on the left hand side, due to the fact that I am left eye dominant.


Knowing this, in order to succeed, I need to follow that seating arrangement. It is for my own good, to keep me focused and concentrated on my learning. Sitting in this certain position helps me to pay attention to what is being taught, and I can understand it more clearly when taking it all in with my dominant eye.


I prefer to not follow step-by-step instructions but to think up my own ideas, where the end product is a creative masterpiece. If I decide to not do this, stress may be caused, and under stress, I may have trouble listening, remembering, and communicating.
One strategy that would help me in my learning is to participate in activities that enhance my learning. Examples of these activities would to be
read out loud, and hand play like knitting, writing, and drawing with my non-dominant hand.

For next year as well as for the remainder of this year, I would like my teachers to know about my learning styles and abilities because if they understand my learning necessities, then it will be easier for me to learn and be successful in their class.




No comments: